Contact me on : firstname.lastname@example.org
07939 230 222
I am a milliner, costume
supervisor, painter and environmental activist.
I trained in costume at world renowned Wimbledon School of Art
in London, graduating in 2001 and specialising in millinery.
I love working with wire and structure and have a special
interest in renaissance and Tudor millinery styles and am passionate about historical
accuracy and researching original processes.
As an environmental activist, my
ethics are first and foremost in my own designs. I run a zero waste studio
powered by green energy. In 2013 I set up Milliners’ Guild with the aim of
supporting other milliners in their work and in achieving a living wage for our
I am a visual artist, currently
working in the medium of oil on canvas.
I live & work in my home town
of Bristol, UK with my partner, child & cat. I am neurodiverse and my preferred
pronouns are they/them
Work & Experience
Milliners’ Guild 2013 – present
• Director & founder of Milliners’ Guild, a millinery boutique dedicated to promoting quality British milliners. Providing both a ready to wear service and bespoke.
Ani Stafford-Townsend Millinery 2001 – present
• Ready to wear and model millinery label, with ethical sourcing of materials.
Freelance theatrical milliner for theatre, opera, ballet and film. Productions include
o Spanish Princess/Starz
o Becoming Elizabeth/Starz
o Killing Eve/BBC
o Poldark BBC/Mammoth Screen
o Call The Midwife BBC
o White Princess Company Television Ltd
o Endeavour ITV/Mammoth Screen
o War Of the Roses Kingston Rose Theatre
o Galivant Disney
Costume Supervision – 2001 – current
o Welsh National Youth Opera
o Selladoor/ PRIME Pantomines
o The Egg, Theatre Royal Bath
Bristol City Council – City Councillor 2015 – 2016, 2021-present
• Green Party Councillor, Party Group Leader (15-16), and Development Committee Chair (15, 21-present), Co-Shadow Cabinet Memebr for Culture, Communities, Equalities & Public Health. Co-Chair of Green Party Women (2022)
SELLADOOR/PRIME Pantomines – Head of Costume/Costume Supervision – 2018-2020
• Costume Supervison for the pantomine arm of Selladoor productions. Pantomines included Aladdin, Snow White, Peter Pan & Wizard Of Oz
Royal Society Of Arts & Manufacturing – Fellow 2010 – present
Bristol Art Fringe 2008 – 2011
• Founder of Bristol Art Fringe, a co-operative of aiming to promote & nature artist members.
Socialdata 2007 – 2011
• Research team leader. Research focused on sustainable transport
Welsh National Opera 2005 – 2012
• Milliner. Leading a small team, working with visiting designers and other departments to create new millinery for every new production.
• BECTU union rep
Chicken Shed Theatre Company 2003 – 2004
• Deputy costume supervisor. Chicken Shed is an inclusive children’s theatre company
Diva Opera 2002 – 2004
• Wardrobe Manager. Diva opera is a renowned chamber opera company which tours UK & Europe
Cambridge Arts Theatre 2001 – 2002
• Wardrobe Manager. Running the wardrobe department
Robert Allsopp and Associates. 2001 – 2001
• Prop maker and milliner
Simon Dawes 2000
• Millinery work experience. Productions included Harry Potter
Milliners’ Guild 2010 – present
• Weekly, 3-5 day courses, as well as 1 day short courses in all areas of millinery.
Central Saint Martin’s 2017 – present
• Working with students on collaboration with Disney to promote Beauty & The Beast
Bristol Old Vic Theatre School 2013 – 2015
• Visiting millinery lecturer
Coleg Morgannwg 2008 – 2010
• Lecturer – Millinery, a core segment of the syllabus Costume for Stage and Screen, BA
Wimbledon school of art 2001
• Lecturer – 1st year costume design, costume interpretation and theatre design students
Parkin International Open Milliners 2018 – Finalist
Hat Talk Magazine International Millinery competition 2018 – Runner Up
Bristol Life Awards 2017 –
• Milliners’ Guild – Finalist in 2 categories – Creative Business & Retailer
• Milliners’ Guild – Winner – Best Creative Business
Bridport Hat Festival – Students have placed for 3 years.
• 1st place 2014 (Annabel Allen) ; 1st place 2015 (Tamsyn Brocks) ; 3rd place 2016 (Emily Molyneux)
International Hat Designer Of The Year 2011 – Finalist
Ashley Stewart Prize for Theatre – 2001